Project Status

[Update 06/24/2018]

Tasks Remaining

None.

Project Finish Date

07/14/18.

Current Work Photos

[06/29/18] Below is the ‘floor’ or base of the FS1000 FTD. Keep in mind the end goal of this project has changed and this project is now just for my own personal use. The current design would not work if I were to go into actual production.

The bread boards consist of one normal length board and one 1/2 length board. The Teensy 3.6 CPU can be seen on the left side of the photo and there are the three MCP23017 chips which will provide me with the needed GPIO expansion IO pins for the switches to be able to work. I was a bit surprised to actually see the final layout look so sparse and bare. Hard to imagine that I can wire up and control 90% of the G1000 switches and knobs with just three MCP23017 expander chips.

2018-06-29_075257

Below I am in the process of soldering the wires onto the push switches that will operate the 12 G1000 soft keys along the bottom of the G1000 panel. These are the same kind of push switches I will use for the autopilot switches and the FMS switches.

2018-06-29_075139

[07/11/18] Below I’m starting to wire up the bread board.

2018-07-11_145310

Below – the first FS1000 FTD power up checks.

As I started working on getting the small control touch screen to power up and work, I was disappointed that it seemed to be unreliable. I’m not sure if this was because of the bread board wiring (meaning the wires were not secure and solid as one would expect on a production circuit board) or if the touch screen itself was having problems. I did have two screens so I tried both and found one just wasn’t working at all. The other one was working about 80% of the time. After spending many days trying to resolve the issues, I finally pulled the plug on the touch screen. I am now going to add one push button to call up the PFD display and one push button to call up the MFD display.

2018-07-11_145800

Below I have all the code added for the three MCP23017 IO expansion chips. However, it looks like I will only need two MCP chips as removing the wiring for the touch screen freed up enough IO pins on the Teensy 3.6 that I don’t think I will need the third MCP chip.

2018-07-11_150645

I’ve validated the firmware code for all three MCP chips and all are working as expected. I’ve added the code and validated the ALT dual rotary encoder, the NAV dual rotary encoder and the HDG single rotary encoder. These were coded using the interrupt method which is the most efficient and fastest responding. I did not use the Polling method.

The HDG knob ‘feel’ and action needed some code tweaking so I could turn the knob faster. I’m now happy with that results. The NAV encoder works now as does the nav freq switch button.

All 12 soft keys have been coded and they work. However, I had to pull out 4 of these switches as they were not working very well. I have to replace them in the next day or two. Then all 12 soft keys will be finished.

A lot progress is now being made as the final part of this whole project is coming together. That is, installing the switches and encoders and testing the code.

Rats Nest

Here is a photo of the back of the FS1000 FTD device. It is about 80% wired up at this point (07/12/18). When finished, there will be a total of 103 wires and it already looks like a complete rats nest! This is the way prototypes are built. I wish I had the knowledge and skills to create a circuit board with flat ribbon cables connecting all of what you see below together in a nice production quality package.

2018-07-13_170251

[07/13/18] All wiring has been hooked up and tested on the right side of the FS1000 FTD panel! The remaining work to be done on the left side is to install and wire up the 12 auto-pilot/HDG/VS etc. switches. Everything else on the left side is finished and working.

Below is a test using the G1000 Trainer via my FS1000 FTD device. I used the FMS knobs to input a flight plan here in the Los Angeles area (Long Beach KLGB airport to Palm Springs KPSP airport) and flew it. One small software tweak I thought I needed to make was to the FMS knob timing values. This provided a better ‘feel’ to the FMS knobs.

2018-07-14_090330

I’m thinking it will take me two more days to solder wires on each one of the 12 AP push switches. Next,  I’ll install them into the control panel and connect the wires. And then finally, test each switch. Today is Friday so I’m thinking maybe by Sunday I should be finished with all of the hardware and wiring (whew!!). Then I will use the FS1000 FTD and see what software adjustments I may need to make to the firmware.

After almost two years of part time work on this project, I finally finished it!!